Bad breath stinks, literally. Halitosis, commonly known as bad breath, has several root causes including the breakdown of foods, tobacco usage, severe dieting/malnutrition, certain medications, or poor oral health. Sometimes bad breath can be directly related to foods such as garlic, onions, or coffee. No one wants bad breath but the good news is with regular trips to the dentist along with proper hygiene, bad breath is usually preventable. In addition to dailyteeth brushing and flossing, we recommend these simple tips to help alleviate bad breath:
- Chew on a piece of citrus rind (washed thoroughly first). The acid from the rind will stimulatesaliva.
- Every morning, scrape your tongue with the inside of a spoon to remove bacteria and fungi which cause odor
- Replace your toothbrush every 2-3 months.
- Swish water around your mouth every 2 hours to stimulate saliva and remove food particles from your mouth.
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks.