July 26, 2016
Salads are the perfect food for summer!They are easy to prepare, you don't have to turn on your ovento cook, AND salads help slim down your waistline and with the right ingredients promote healthy teeth.Salads shouldn't be limited to lettuce and dressing;the more colors, flavors and textures you add, the more appealing a salad becomes to your palate.Plus, super foods like apples, broccoli, fish, and strawberries are great for oral health.
- Did youknow that apples are a natural teeth cleaner which also fight off bad breath?
- Broccoli helps fightbacteria in your mouth, and because it is rich in iron, it helps to build a fortress around your teethtoprotect enamel.
- Fish, like salmon and tuna, help strengthen your teeth.
- Strawberries havemalic acid which naturally whitens your teeth.
Plus, the more you chew your food, the more youstimulate saliva which prevents harmful acids away from your teeth.
Dig your fork into some of ourfavorite sizzling salads that incorporate these super foods and be ready for an adventure every time youeat!
Strawberry and Spinach Salad:
- 2 cups baby spinach
- cup of strawberries sliced lengthwise
- 2 tsp feta cheese
- 2 tsp of slivered almonds
- 2 Tbsp of balsamic vinaigrette
Place the baby spinach on a dinner plate and sprinkle strawberries, feta, and almonds. Drizzle the
balsamic vinaigrette over the top. Serves 1.
Salmon Ginger Salad:
- cup of fresh, shelled edamame
- 4 oz grilled salmon
- cup of finely green cabbage, shredded
- cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp of sesame oil
- 2 cups of broccoli slaw (found in the refrigeration section of most produce departments)
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a bowl mix edamame, tomatoes, and toss with oils and vinegar. Season salad with salt and
pepper. Place slaw in serving bowl and top with grilled salmon and mix together. Serves 1.
Apple and Arugula Chicken Salad:
- 2 green apples, peeled and diced into cubes
- 1 pound boiled chicken, cut into -inch cubes
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- tsp salt
- tsp ground black pepper
- cup pecans
- 2 cups of Arugula lettuce
Mix chicken together with Greek yogurt, salt, pepper, celery salt, apples and walnuts together
and refrigerate at least one hour. After cooled, place one scoop of chicken salad on top of a
bed of arugula lettuce. Serves 1.
Seared Tuna Nicoise Salad
- 4oz Tuna steak
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 roma tomato
- cup green beans
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 olive oil
Press 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds into a 4 oz. tuna steak. Sear the tuna in a non-stick pan coated with
cooking spray, until it is at your desired degree of doneness. Plate a salad of 2 cups romaine
lettuce leaves, 1 sliced plum tomato, cup steamed green beans, and top with the seared
tuna. Dress with fresh lemon juice and 1 tsp. olive oil. Serves 1.
Grilled Broccoli and Shrimp Salad:
- 15-20 raw shrimp, shelled
- cup olive oil
- cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 heads of broccoli, cut into large florets
- Salt to taste
In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, plus the lime juice, chili powder
and garlic. Add the shrimp and stir well to cover with the marinade. Lightly salt the shrimp and
let it marinate while you prepare the broccoli and heat the grill. When you're ready to grill,
thread the shrimp on skewers. Heat a grill to medium high heat. Put the broccoli florets in a
large bowl. Drizzle the remaining 1/3 cup of olive oil over the broccoli and use your hands to
toss the broccoli so it's evenly and thoroughly coated in olive oil and a few pinches of salt. If the
broccoli seems dry, add more olive oil. Grill the broccoli florets for 8 to 12 minutes, so the tips
are nicely charred. Keep an eye on it, turning the florets as necessary so they don't get too
crispy. When the broccoli is off the grill, then grill the shrimp skewers for 2 minutes on each
side. In a large bowl, toss together the shrimp and broccoli. Squeeze fresh lime juice on top.
Once you've tried these salad recipes, head on over to our facebook page
and post a pictureof your favorite one! We're dying to know what you think of these recipes!